Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Into the building
She led the search
Left hand against the wall
Crawling on all fours

A set of irons in
A leather gloved hand
My other on her ankle,
I follow

Clearing a first floor
Climbing to a second
Smoke getting thicker
Light getting sparer

Breathing heavy
Our tanks run low
Still we sweep, and
She shouts "Window!"

A voice of command
Breaks through the bustle
Seven-Zero-One to primary search
Pull out, fire below!

Her hand leaves the
Wall and she can't see
It's up to me
To lead my team.

Her left becomes right
Because its dark as night
Smoke floods her vision
She panics without sight

We can hear the LT's shouts,
'Move out', 'move out'
I find her hand and
Connect it to my boot,

Lead her to the stairs
To get us out of there
Our air pack alarms start to ring
We're running out of time

She follows me down
The stairwell we had climbed
Relieved to find
We're still alive

No comments:

Post a Comment