Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Walking around barefoot
and tiptoed,
Careful not to make a sound
Or step on the broken glass laying around.

Her eyelids sank over her
Iris's one last time
She breathed in slow and deep
Through her nose
Her chest rose
Like the sun in the east
She was adrift in slumber
Long before me.

I stopped to get directions,
I'd found I'd lost my way
Tread wearing thin
Gas running low
Pick up a map,
None of them show
Where to go
I keep taking turns
Because no one seems to know
Cars collided early
On the highway
And I can't help but think
The next one will be me
Take it fast, take it slow
Enjoy the scenes
Because you never know
Which mile will be your last
On this mysterious road.

She wouldn't leave me alone
But I refuse to turn off my phone
Her idle chatter,
Driving me mad
Saying so much,
So little of it matters.

Her skinny wrists,
Bleach blonde hair,
Tired baggy eyes,
Led me to assume
There wasn't much inside
Some of us go a little faster
On our way to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment