Friday, September 17, 2010

You, my dear,
Are a filthy pirate.
And you've stolen
My treasured heart.
And I won't have it!
You've had your share of
Fine jewels, I'm sure.
And you are skillful,
You pirate queen.
In an instant my
Senses were swash-buckled
My reason blindsided,
Peg-legged, my nerve.
Breath had since left me
Dazed and confused
Please return to me
That which is mine,
Or keep it, and keep me,
Your pirate bride.  

The same syllables in every line
Don't forget the lines that end in rhyme
Haiku, cinquians, limericks, and sonnets
Alliteration, onomatopoeia (kerplunk!),
Free verse, a cup of tea, read some poetry
Frost, Poe, and Bukowski
Keep alive this little word party

I'm afraid to be honest with you
I'm afraid to share my heart
But that's what makes me vulnerable
And that's what makes good art
So I break down these walls
And my soul breaks forth onto this paper
I will spill out on this page
The truth inside of me
And maybe you will see,
Or maybe you won't
But I will know.

The music became my nemesis
Quickly,
Like a good friend stabbing you from behind
Unexpected, but honest.
She became the object of my disgust.
For her, no longer did I lust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment